Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Baby Birds

We raised some baby birds. Alright mama bird did but I am not sure they would have survived without us.


Here they are as tiny babies. Within 2 weeks they were grown and jumping out of the nest. I was surprised how fast they got big.

This is the start of where I am sure that we saved their lives. The birds jumped out of their nest but couldn't fly yet. I was confused isn't that how it works. The birds jump out and then they fly off. Well not ours. The 3 chicks sat in the grass I was sure that they had broken a leg. But no they were fine. Soon they were walking around our yard. They would go from the back to the front. Jump in the window wells and get stuck. I had to rescue them over and over again. Until Leah set up a plank of wood so they could walk out. One even spent the day in our shed. Mama bird was still around squawking at us from the rooftop. She kept those birds fed. Then about a week later they were gone. I am told from the girls that they learned how to fly.

Here is Dave preforming what we thought was a rescue mission. I was too freaked out because I thought this bird was close to death. Dave put on his soccer goalie gloves and attempted to put the bird back in the nest. It then jumped right back out. It was an adventure for sure.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Shill and Company said...

Those photos of the birds are too cute for words. Wow, that is some excellent photography. Hooray for the Ratchford family. You all did well raising the little birdies.

Lauren said...

I bet Leah loved this rescue mission. Way to go Ratchford rescuers!