So go ahead and comment.
The real story. We arrived at 9:00 AM with the scouts for the beginning of our scout camp in the high Uinta mountains (10,000 feet). We were told by a scout "leader" (who had not yet graduated from puberty) to grab our trunks and head to the lake for "swim check". Knowing that in no way that I or my fellow leader Josh Carmack, had to swim I still choose to "represent" and "motivate" the boys and jump in the bitterly cold lake.
As my faced surfaced from the frozen abyss 3 feet from the dock, the sound heard around the valley was a mixture of shock, anger and fear, but mostly fear. I was asked to swim to a target not too far off, return, float on my back for 1 minute and tread water for 1 minute. Not a tall challenge for a strapping slightly husky lad as myself, right? Well this moment changed my life forever. Only Josh truly knows how close my kids came to losing their papa bear. There was a moment when the heavens opened and angels guided me to the dock. This is no exageration, I nearly died...as did the power craving dock scout that told me I'd have to start over if I touched the dock...how close you came to a swift death my young scout nazi.
The photo below takes place just seconds after I got back to the dock. After looking at it now for a week I realize that I have never had the expression on my face before. I've come to define my look as "anxiety ridden euphoric hate."
The good part of this story is that this singular event has caused a mighty change in my heart and waist. I've since started the Brittany Spears diet and have lost 5 pounds with another 35 on it's way off. So in a rather peculiar way I can thank the Boy Scouts of America for the hellish kick in the arse that was "Swim Check"
10 comments:
"Nope, no cheeseburgers down there."
"I'm gonna need a crane to get out of here."
"MASCULINITY DEFINED IN SWIM CHECK" - The BSA released this statement earlier today as further evidence that scout leaders are not in fact "all gay", because gay people are as we all know in great shape and really look after their bodies.
Garreth
"PHELPS CHALLENGE FOILED AGAIN" - In response to Bengals Wide Receiver, Chad Johnson's controversial remarks to ESPN stating that he knew three dudes at the Brooklyn Pool that could "Beat Phelps right now", local egomaniac David Ratchford believed him. After this near death encounter at a local children's event, Ratchford later admitted "Phelps is way better than me, but still has an unusually long torso that looks disproportional to a regular man".....
Garreth
"man falls in love with dock, refuses to let go"
"Give me my clothes back, you @#$%!!!"
"A few more laps like that and I will be able to fit into my Power Ranger Halloween costume!"
Hi Dave and Rachel,
It has been fun reading your Blog lately, and I'm finally getting a chance to post a comment. Davey, I understand most scout troops skip the the swimming at Steiner's and opt to pass it off in a swimming pool. The water in those glacier lakes can be pretty frigid. I just want to know, did you inspire your scouts or scare them to death?!
Take care,
Amber
"Icy Water Shrinks Man's Ego...Among Other Things."
Sorry...I couldn't resist.
Tyler
I am not in a very clever mood right now so I cannot compete with the excellent captions that have been written thus far. All that I can say Dave, is that it takes a very strong man to show himself being weak. May I also share with your readers that you are terrified of spiders and you make Rachel kill them? Oh, and then there are the garter snakes... You say you have never made that expression before, but I have seen some pretty hilarious ones. Hee hee.
Post a Comment